St William's College
In 1457 Henry VI granted York Minster a license to establish a college of chantry priests here, in the lee of the Minster church. The foundation was delayed by the turmoil of the Wars of the Roses, but in 1461 Edward IV confirmed the grant, and a college of 23 fellows was established, though construction of the college building did not actually start until 1465. The college was dedicated to St William, great-grandson of William the Conqueror, Archbishop of York in 1154, and York’s own native saint.
Go to Source
Author: